Fire Safety Western North Carolina
Western North Carolina is one of the best places to live in the country. We could be accused of bias, since we are from here, but think about what the mountains surrounding the Asheville area have to offer:
- Perfect temperatures: It’s not too cold in the winter, though it does snow occasionally. Yet, the elevation provides a break from the extreme heat and humidity experienced in other parts of the South.
- Hiking and Biking: There are thousands of miles of trails to explore on your mountain bike or on foot.
- Landscapes and Waterfalls: There are stunning mountain balds with 360-degree views as well as a higher concentration of waterfalls than anywhere east of the Mississippi River.
- Lakes and waterways: From fast flowing rivers and creeks to incredible mountain lakes, there is no shortage of waterways in which to kayak, tube, or fish.
- Food and culture: Buncombe and Henderson counties and the surrounding communities all have vibrant arts and world-class restaurants.
- Shopping: From the Asheville outlets to Biltmore Village, there are many excellent shopping areas throughout our area.
If you are a resident and homeowner in Asheville, Hendersonville, or the surrounding area, you get to experience all of the great things available in the area. However, there are a few things to watch for that could cause property damage. Though the last few years have been rainy, one of the potential dangers for which to keep your eye on is drought, which can lead to wildfires.
Protecting Your Property from Wildfires
Our area may not be known for wildfire; however, it can happen and can be destructive. There have been large wildfires in western North Carolina in the last few years. It is important for property owners to practice proper fire safety:
- Know when it is too dry to burn.
- Pay attention to red flag warnings.
- Never leave a fire unintended.
- Only burn what is appropriate.
- Always make sure the fire is completely out before leaving it.
One of the most important things you can do to protect your property from wildfire is having Garrett’s Landscape and Grading help with land clearing, forestry mulching, and underbrushing. When it is dry, your uncleared land can become fuel for the fire. In some cases, all it takes is a rogue lightning strike or the smallest ember to cause a fire on your property. If you are ready to practice proper fire safety by clearing problem areas on your property, contact Garrett’s Landscape.