Landscaping companies are typically less busy during the cold months. Here are four landscaping projects to take on during winter.
Winter Landscaping Projects
1) Adding Hardy Winter Plants
Everything is cold and gray. Brighten up your yard with hardy, green winter plants. Some of the choices that can add color to your lawn and landscaping include birch trees, winterberry, and Christmas holly. Once these plants are installed, your yard will be the envy of your neighborhood.
2) Install and Expand Your Outdoor Living Spaces
Asheville and Hendersonville are stunningly beautiful during every season. Many homeowners have vast views of mountains and valleys, or peaceful creeks and rivers babbling near their homes. Temperatures are pleasant through three quarters of the year, so we spend a lot of time outdoors. This year, plan to take back your outdoor living spaces from winter’s grip by making it more cold-weather friendly. You can improve on your spaces such as:
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Outdoor fire pits and fireplaces
- Patio Pavers
- Outdoor seating
- Water features
- Retaining walls and boulder walls
Adding fire pits and heating units to make kitchens and seating areas usable even when there is a chill in the air. For more information about outdoor living area installation, Garrett’s Landscape is here to help.
3) Improve Your Lighting
Daylight Savings ushers in the dreaded “dark-thirty” when people leave their homes for work and school at dawn and return at dusk. That does not mean your yard has to be dark and depressing. The primary purpose of landscape lighting is to illuminate focal points and allow you to enjoy your yard and garden any time of day or night.
Garrett’s Landscape specializes in lighting systems that are unobtrusive and discreet, while at the same time highlighting key features, such as walkways, paths, trees, fountains, ponds, and more. We can help you choose efficient solutions that will minimize your costs while maximizing the visual impact.
4) Prepare Your Lawn and Garden for Spring
There is plenty of landscaping and gardening work to do to get ready for spring. As everything turns brown and gray, you have a perfect opportunity to get ahead of your preparation for the growing season.
- Decide what you want to keep or change: You may have some plants, shrubs, and trees that you just love. There are some about which you are not so crazy. Winter is a great time to pull and dispose of the plants you do not want while working with a professional landscaper for new ideas.
- Prepare your garden and landscaping beds: You have a lot of the organic matter you need to prepare your soil for planting. Lay a foundation of your dead annuals, leaves, and compost in your beds (depending on what you will be planting and where). Then, you can add soil that will be rich and have excellent drainage.
- Fix drainage issues and set up irrigation: Did your yard and garden have drainage issues or were you constantly watering plants? Use the cold season to develop better drainage, set up irrigation, and prepare for better water usage.
If you are ready to get started with some winter landscaping projects that will improve your outdoor spaces for the cold months and beyond, Garrett’s Landscape in Hendersonville is here to help. We have years of winter experience in the Hendersonville, Greenville, and Spartanburg areas. We also offer snow removal services. Contact Garrett’s Landscape for more information about landscaping projects that are right for winter and all year long.